|Worn originally in 2012, but this photo is from 2014.|
Photo credit: Christopher Erickson
The next years' challenge was a Gibson Girl dress, which I had planned to participate in, but was unable to due to my cat passing away during the time I had set aside to work on it. I was too sad to sew.
This years' challenge was an 1830's dress, based on the Truly Victorian pattern TV455 (1830s Romantic Era Dress). I planned to make this dress during my Spring Break, since I'm a teacher and don't have a lot of free time otherwise.
I'm not going to go into too much detail on the initial construction of the dress, as that part went pretty much according to the pattern instructions. I wanted to do something different for this dress; something really complicated and unique. I thought back to something I had seen on my friend Emily's dress at the December Gaskells.
|Emily's skirt with amazing triangle-y things, AKA my inspiration.|
|Sleeve mockup: 1st attempt at triangle-y bits|
|Straight grid that I didn't end up using.|
But then realized that the pattern was actually circular, so I redesigned the grid to be radial instead.
|Radial grid for practicing smocking|
The plan was to sew together every other junction along a circle. The next outer circle would be the same, but shifted over so that the junctions that had been skipped over would be sewn together instead. (I have no idea if that makes sense, but you can see a visual of this on my actual sleeve design.)
|Side view of the radial grid all smocked up|
|Front view of the radial grid all smocked up.|
|So. Many. Lines.|
Then I sorta felt like calling up each of my math students who complained about fractions and wondered where they would ever use this stuff in real life and telling them about this project, but I resisted.
|Circles, ellipses, and lines- Oh my!|
|With the arm hole cut out. Plus bonus kitty toes!|
|Up close view of the lines. This part eventually would go under the arm.|
|More up close view of the lines. This part eventually would go on the outside of the arm.|
|Detail of the triangle-y bits.|
|The sleeve after the 2nd row of stitches. Bonus picture of me marathoning House. |
I made it through all 8 seasons while making this dress.
|Finished sleeve before cartridge pleating it.|
With the sleeve all smocked, what was I to do next with it? Put it on my kitten, of course!
|Calliope wearing her new fashionable cat cozy. She's very tolerant of my weirdness.|
|This will be all the rage next year, trust me.|
|Up close view of the shoulder.|
|Up close view of the cuff.|
|Both sleeves on.|
I later stuffed them full of poly-fil to help them maintain their shape.
|Detail of the skirt triangle-bits.|
|I decided to have three rows below the edge of the bodice. |
Because of the first row that was hidden by the edge of the bodice,
there are actually four rows of stitches on the skirt.
|I was a bit concerned that the triangle-y bits would look sloppy, |
but they sorted themselves out as I sewed them in place.
|Photo credit: Monica Lenk|
|View of the back|